Berdine BurgerM.D. Request An Appointment
- Laser Cataract Surgery
Dr. Berdine M. Burger is a comprehensive ophthalmologist and cataract surgeon with Carolina Eyecare Physicians (CEP), the premiere, state of the art, ophthalmology practice in Charleston and surrounding areas. The physicians at Carolina Eyecare are all board-certified, and are known for their expertise in comprehensive and consultative eyecare. They offer the latest, cutting-edge technology and treatments for cataracts, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, and macular degeneration. Their expertise in cataract, refractive, and oculoplastic (eyelid) surgery is unsurpassed in the Low Country.
Dr. Burger has a sterling reputation for providing the highest quality care to her patients with compassion and integrity. Dr. Burger was a recipient of the R.E. Lee Honor Scholarship, and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience from Washington and Lee University in Virginia. During her undergraduate studies, she attended St. Andrews University in Scotland, where she completed a study of international health systems. Dr. Burger completed a retina research fellowship at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Storm Eye Institute,prior to completing her ophthalmology residency.
She has been the recipient of countless accolades, including the Arnold P. Gold Humanism in Medicine Honor Award and the Nabors Service League Honorary Award. Dr. Burger has also been recognized as a National Institute of Health Student Scholar. While at MUSC, she was distinguished as Faculty Excellence Teacher of the Month, as well as a Presidential Scholar. Dr. Burger is a past member of the Chancellor’s List (National Dean’s List), Who’s Who, as well as a past vice president of the American Medical Student Association (AMSA). Additionally, she has served as a supplemental instructor for MUSC medical students. She is currently affiliated with several associations, including the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), Unite for Sight International (UFS), American College of Surgeons (ACS), South Carolina Medical Association (SCMA), and various charitable organizations that provide community outreach efforts. Most recently, Dr. Burger became the recipient of the 2013 Patients’ Choice Award and was recognized as Vitals Top 10 Doctor for South Carolina.
- Burger BM, Chavis PS, Purvin V. Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis: A Weed by Any Other Name. Survey of Ophthalmology. 2013 Mar-Apr;58(2):176-83. Invited Publication.
- Wilson ME, Burger BM. Dissociated Strabismus Complex. Atlas of Pediatric Ophthalmology. Ed. Garg A. Jaypee Publishers, India. 2011.
- Wilson ME, Trivedi RH, Burger BM. Eye growth in the second decade of life: implications for the implantation of a multifocal intraocular lens. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2009 Dec;107:120-4.
- Burger BM, Kelty PJ, Bowie EM. Ocular nail gun injuries: epidemiology and visual outcomes. J Trauma. 2009 Dec;67(6):1320-2.
- Trivedi RH, Nutaitis MJ, Fant J, Vroman D, Burger BM, Crosson CE. TGFβ2 Levels in Aqueous Humor of African-American and Caucasian Subjects. IOVS, ARVO E-Abstract 4864, 2009.
- Bowie EM, Burger BM. After a Closed Globe Injury, What Vitreoretinal Findings Should I Expect and When Do I Refer? Curbside Consultation in Retina. Ed. Fekrat S. Slack Inc. 2009:179-182
- Kelty PJ, Payne JF, Trivedi RH, Kelty J, Bowie EM, Burger BM. Macular thickness assessment in healthy eyes based on ethnicity using Stratus OCT (optical coherence tomography). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008 Jun;49(6):2668-72.
Her practice provides comprehensive and consultative personalized eyecare utilizing the latest technology, including laser-assisted cataract surgery and minimally invasive glaucoma surgery. Dr. Burger started practicing with Carolina Eyecare Physicians in May 2013. To schedule an appointment, please call (843) 571-7337.
Practice Website: www.carolinaeyecare.com